Richard is a business lawyer with a focus on corporate tax and business / transaction structuring and implementation. He provides practical legal advice having regard to a multitude of factors facing his clients, including tax, commercial and family considerations which may be relevant.
Richard is commonly retained for:
- Private company succession and estate planning;
- Major purchase, sale and takeover transactions;
- General corporate and commercial matters across a variety of industries;
- Shareholder agreements, partnership agreements and joint venture agreements;
- Plans of arrangement, debt and equity financings;
- Optimizing business and financing structures;
- Restructuring insolvent companies and other divestiture transactions;
- Executive compensation plans and arrangements;
- Estate planning, including the establishment of family trusts and preparing wills;
- Obtaining charitable registration for charitable organizations and foundations;
- Providing tax advice and opinions on a variety of issues and technical matters; and
- Dispute resolution regarding tax and non-tax matters.
Richard also acts as a director or trustee of several corporations and/or trusts.
Prior to joining BLG, Richard worked for an international sport and entertainment management firm, ran his own consulting business, and worked in a variety of other industries where he learned how businesses operate. These experiences have been instrumental in his ability to provide practical legal advice, with the client’s interests in mind.
In Richard’s legal practice, he has assisted in establishing several registered charities and non-profit organizations. He served a term as a director of Tails of Help, a registered charity that provides funding to low income individuals who need access to veterinary care for their pets. He has also acted as a director of the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society.
Richard has completed Levels I, II and III of the CPA Canada, In-Depth Tax Course.
Richard provides legal services through a Law Corporation.