Municipal organizations face unique legal challenges as creatures of statute having to adapt to quickly changing provincial, national and even international regulatory contexts and market forces. The breadth of issues confronting municipal entities is staggering; how they respond affects every citizen on a daily basis.
You need a firm that provides specialized expertise to municipalities, and those affected by municipal action, in the widest variety of legal fields, across the country, offering the broadest platform for addressing issues at the municipal level.
Our team can assemble the right professionals to accomplish your objectives and overcome challenges in a timely, cost-effective manner. We assist clients with:
- land acquisition, assembly and expropriation projects
- urban renewal and other projects combining land acquisition and land use planning
- brownfield redevelopment
- infrastructure and environmental assessment matters
- conservation authority matters
- cultural heritage designations and disputes
- development charges and other fees and charges
- other revenue tools and cost-sharing agreements
- municipal governance matters
- code of conduct and integrity matters
- opinions on municipal powers
- preparation of bylaws
- bylaw challenges
- cannabis retail, production and related matters
- emerging sectors such as autonomous vehicles, the Internet of Things and cutting-edge service delivery technologies
We also act for municipalities and private entities across a spectrum of issues related to Expropriation and Land Use Planning.
We advise and represent upper-tier, single-tier and lower-tier municipalities. We also regularly act for:
- provincial governments
- government agencies at all levels
- boards and commissions
- school boards
- hospitals and other healthcare entities
Our litigation practice can assist you with matters involving municipal tribunals and the courts at all levels.